Mango trees

Flowers appear at the end of winter and beginning of spring. Both male and female flowers are borne on same tree. The Climatic conditions have

. indica were domesticated separately in South Asia and Southeast Asia since ancient times, resulting in two distinct genetic populations in modern mangoes – the "Indian type" and the "Southeast Asian type". Mangoes have since been introduced to other warm regions of the world.[4][5]

 

The species first described by Linnaeus in 1753.[6] The mango is the national fruit of India, Pakistan and the Philippines and the national tree of Bangladesh.[7]

 

Description Edit

Tree Edit

A large green tree, valued mainly for its fruits, both green and ripe. Approximately 210 varieties of mango have been reported. It can grow up to 15–30 metres (49–98 ft) tall. The tree grows best in well-drained sandy loam; it does not grow well in heavy wet soils. The optimal pH of the soil should be between 5.2 and 7.5.[8]

 

Flowers Edit

Flowers appear at the end of winter and beginning of spring. Both male and female flowers are borne on same tree. The Climatic conditions have significant influence on the time of flowering of mango. In India, flowering starts in December in the South, in January in Bihar and Bengal, in February in eastern Uttar Pradesh, and in February–March in northern India. The duration of flowering is 20–25 days in Dashehari, while panicle emergence occurs in early December and flower opening is completed by February. The Neelum variety of mango produces two crops a year in Kanyakumari, in South India, but it flowers only once in North Indian conditions.[9]

 

Fruits Edit

Main article: Mango

The mango is an irregular, egg-shaped fruit which is a fleshy drupe. Mangos are typically 8–12 cm (3–5 in) long and greenish yellow in color. The fruits can be round, oval, heart, or kidney shaped. Mango fruits are green when they are unripe. The interior flesh is bright orange and soft with a large, flat pit in the middle.[10] Mangos are mature in April and May. Raw mangos can be used in the making of pickles and chutneys. Ripe mangos are a popular fruit throughout the world. The skin and pulp account for 85% of the mango's weight, and the remaining 15% comes from the stone . indica were domesticated separately in South Asia and Southeast Asia since ancient times, resulting in two distinct genetic populations in modern mangoes – the "Indian type" and the "Southeast Asian type". Mangoes have since been introduced to other warm regions of the world.[4][5]

 

The species first described by Linnaeus in 1753.[6] The mango is the national fruit of India, Pakistan and the Philippines and the national tree of Bangladesh.[7]

 

Description Edit

Tree Edit

A large green tree, valued mainly for its fruits, both green and ripe. Approximately 210 varieties of mango have been reported. It can grow up to 15–30 metres (49–98 ft) tall. The tree grows best in well-drained sandy loam; it does not grow well in heavy wet soils. The optimal pH of the soil should be between 5.2 and 7.5.[8]

 

Flowers Edit

Flowers appear at the end of winter and beginning of spring. Both male and female flowers are borne on same tree. The Climatic conditions have significant influence on the time of flowering of mango. In India, flowering starts in December in the South, in January in Bihar and Bengal, in February in eastern Uttar Pradesh, and in February–March in northern India. The duration of flowering is 20–25 days in Dashehari, while panicle emergence occurs in early December and flower opening is completed by February. The Neelum variety of mango produces two crops a year in Kanyakumari, in South India, but it flowers only once in North Indian conditions.[9]

 

Fruits Edit

Main article: Mango

The mango is an irregular, egg-shaped fruit which is a fleshy drupe. Mangos are typically 8–12 cm (3–5 in) long and greenish yellow in color. The fruits can be round, oval, heart, or kidney shaped. Mango fruits are green when they are unripe. The interior flesh is bright orange and soft with a large, flat pit in the middle.[10] Mangos are mature in April and May. Raw mangos can be used in the making of pickles and chutneys. Ripe mangos are a popular fruit throughout the world. The skin and pulp account for 85% of the mango's weight, and the remaining 15% comes from the stone (seed).[11]

 

(seed).[11]

 

 


Joan Bahati

245 Blog posts

Comments